Thursday 4 January 2018

Crystal Angel Ornaments


When mom replaced her crystal chandelier with a more modern one I had hopes of rewiring it and using it but that never happened.  As time passed I revisited that box and recycled the metal parts, re-purposing the parts I could.  My first attempt at crystal angels are these three.

The first crystal angel you have seen before when I purchased it in St. Jacobs this past fall.  I'm not sure what chemical is added to the crystal but it reflects like a rainbow. The crystal itself is quite flat.  The wing pattern is from the online tatting class Angel Wings for IOLI 2007 Convention. The angel measures 2.5 inches tall.

The second angel is from mom's chandelier and the two crystals measure 2.5 inches tall. I used the wing pattern from Jennifer Williams Christmas angel, you make two and attach them together. Here is the link.


The final angel is from mom's chandelier and the crystals are quite large.  This pattern is from Agnieszka Michalowska and is a very frilly coaster, I used split rings and chains to make it in one pass.  Once attached the tatting covers both sides of the bottom crystal.  This angel measures 3.5 inches long.  The top crystal is beveled and flat on one side, beveled and pointed on the other. The lower crystal is rounded on both sides.  All the wings are made with a DMC 12 Pearl Cotton.

I have hung them up in my window waiting for the sun to separate the light and bring rainbows of color across the kitchen.  I'm thinking that a halo of tatting can be added too.

Weeks ago I had taken a picture of all the crystals once I had washed them and they were sitting on a towel to dry.  I think I may have given out a few but I still have many to craft into angels and icedrops.  Further suggestions for use of these crystals is welcomed.

Finally, wind your shuttles as the Tat it and see TIAS 2018 is almost here. Read the introduction here


8 comments:

  1. Oh how wonderful to have a beautiful collection of crystles and from your mom's shandler and this is a great way to repurpose them, love the wings both sets💟🌹💟

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so clever! Pretty angels and recycling. Thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are going to keep you out of mischief for a loooooong time!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be right Jane, I may need to give a few more away.

      Delete
  4. Cute & creative re-purposing !
    Could some of the crystals be used for earrings & danglers, embellished with tatting, of course ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, some of the smaller ones are a perfect size for a tatted earring.

      Delete
  5. Re-cycling at its best, and beautiful use of the crystals

    ReplyDelete

It is always nice to see that someone has commented on my posts. Your comment will be published after verification. Happy Tatting