Thursday 6 April 2017

Around the world in 8 days

I ordered some Clover bobbin shuttles and am taking them for a spin tonight.  They arrived from Japan in 8 days. The shuttle length is the same length as the post shuttles with the pick having the exact curve. Once a full bobbin is inserted the width does increase slightly.

Each shuttle comes with two bobbins and a bobbin winder. The winder holds a bobbin either in the cradle part or the winding end.  In the cradle it doubles as the ball thread and does not spin. To change shuttles, just exchange the bobbin in the shuttle.  

I have never been in the habit of pulling on a shuttle for more thread, rather I use my thumb to turn the bobbin and this is how you must use these shuttles.

 When I bought these, the website said that the bobbins do NOT fit other shuttles and they are a bit taller than Aero or Aerlit bobbins. I did squeeze one into a pop-a-bobbin but I am not short of bobbins. I have some cheap shuttles that have hooks that the clover bobbins fit into.  Extra bobbins can be purchased and they come with a bobbin winder. Lucky me the bobbins do fit my bobbin winder.

Each bobbin has a little corner loop on the post which you are instructed to tie the thread through. The instructions I received were in Japanese they have one page with shuttle and bobbin instructions and the other side with tatting instructions and diagrams.

I also  bought the shuttle and bobbin case shown below. So far I am quite impressed with these clover bobbin shuttles.  

5 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting & informative post ! Thanks for sharing along with pics. Japanese are perfect at their work and elegant, too. Love the box - neat !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention that it also comes with two washers. I believe these are to adjust the height when using a sewing machine bobbin winder. I don't own a sewing machine but I'll hand on to them as there is a spot for the washers in the case.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a good buy. And it reached you very quickly. Happy tatting with your new shuttles!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering the Canadian USA exchange rate plus exorbitant shipping costs I am satisfied.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your review. I am curious about those bobbin Clover shuttle. The shuttles and bobbins case looks awesome. I didn't know this product existed.

    ReplyDelete

It is always nice to see that someone has commented on my posts. Your comment will be published after verification. Happy Tatting